Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Julie's California Blog - Day 32


Julie's California Blog - Day 32, Wednesday, May 1, 2013





I've really enjoyed getting to know the LA area.  When I first arrived, the interstate highways intimidated me, but I'm used to them now and the 12 lanes of traffic have become second nature.  Allowing myself an extra hour to get someplace because of traffic is a little more difficult to embrace.  

I'm glad I took the time to truly appreciate some of my surroundings, which, I've learned, happens only when we stop long enough to actually pay attention.  I will miss my walks on The Strand.  Even though most of the people I passed on my walks seemed to look right through me - totally self absorbed - I still managed to meet some interesting people along the way.  I'm no longer shocked at the strangeness of some of the folks I saw.  In fact, their weirdness has become my new normal.  We're all people.  I'm no different from anyone else.  I'm no better than anyone else.  Well, I may smell better than some of them, but deep down inside, we're all looking for the same thing, peace and happiness.  How we get there is what makes us different.  I'll miss the fabulous restaurants, incredible shopping, the vastness of the Pacific Ocean, the ever changing breathtaking sunsets and the energy of life on The Strand.



But alas, it's time to go home.  I've been in California for a month.  My objective was to check on Jeff and make sure he is adjusting favorably to college life.  That mission was accomplished.  Jeff seems to be doing very well.  He has a great group of friends.  He's decided that he likes USC.  He seems very happy.  I don't really know what more I could ask for.  This lessens my anxiety level somewhat.  Now I need to get a better feel for how Jacqueline is coping. 



This morning, after my last walk on The Strand, I 
loaded the car with all my gear and the two dogs and went to the airport.  Scruffy seemed happy to be leaving LA.  He found much solace in his comfortable seat on the airplane.  When he arrived home in his yard in Tampa, he gave me a look of relief and joy - GRASS.  He never did really warm up to the concrete on The Strand and was very glad to be home even if it was pouring rain when we arrived.  

Squeaker was equally happy to be home.  

As for me - wow!  I feel very unsettled right now.  I guess I'm glad to be home.  At first, I asked myself - home to what?  An empty house?  Then I admonished myself for even considering another pity party when I am so incredibly blessed with the most unbelievable friends and family, who stopped their lives long enough to read my silly blog page and never once told me how stupid and self centered it was.  These are people who really care about me because I'm ME.  I am so grateful to have you in my life.  Thank you!  So besides a Great Dane who just had knee surgery and now lives in my kitchen, two air conditioners that don't work - of course, they are the ones in my bedroom and bathroom - the internet is down, which is ok because my keyboard and touch pad don't work either, the batteries are dead in all of my tv remotes, the phone system back up battery is beeping, and my car is out of gas, but I'm still happy to be HOME and can't wait to see you all! 




My California Adventure was great fun. I'm so glad you stuck it out with me through these blog entries. I hope you found them entertaining and felt like you were experiencing a bit of the trip with me through these words and photos. I wish each of you could have been with me and I hope my new California friends are presently sitting on The Strand enjoying another beautiful sunset while sipping a glass of $3.00 wine.




Before I end this blog, I wanted to share a couple of photos that deserve a little recognition because they are just so bizarre.
While walking to dinner in Beverly Hills with Jeff, Kenny and Sheryl, we passed a house with 30 bronze statues filling the yard surrounded by an iron fence. These people have their own personal zoo with life sized bronze animals everywhere. Bizarre.



Remember the trouble I had with my bed and the sheets that didn't fit very well. I tried to describe the situation, but one picture is worth a thousand words.




Here's a photo of our waiter at Yamashiro's restaurant in Hollywood. His claim to fame - He played the part of The Blue Power Ranger in the Power Ranger Movie. Recognize him? He's sporting his famous Blue Power Ranger pose. He's blue now because he's working as a waiter instead of the film industry!



Here's a photo of three really cool French Bulldogs riding down The Strand on a skate board. The owner of the dogs jumped on the skate board, pushed a button and his electric skateboard took off with the three dogs just along for the ride. Or perhaps it was the other way around - the dude was along for the ride with the French Bulldogs. Regardless, it was cool. P.S. I was back in Hermosa Beach in October and met this guy and his dogs at a Halloween Party. The dogs are amazing.



And I'd be totally remiss if I didn't show you this bike. Lots of people out here decorate their bikes so they take on the personality of the owner. This guy must be a yeti.

I guess that's enough of the bizarre and honorable mention photos. Thanks for checking in with me for the past month.

This is Julie's California Blog signing out.















1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Thank you SO much for sharing your blog with me! I read through your cruise journey (backwards), then read through this in sequence. SO good to see you in all the pics and you have such a great fun eye of pics to share of your daily fun! You look absolutely fabulous!

    Thank you! I did just spend the evening reading both blogs...because they are yours and because you are so special! I'm certain anyone who meets you knows that right away! It was fun seeing Jeff in these pics; he was just a little kid when I met him; I'm happy to hear he's settling in and has help with coping with losing his Dad. I wish I could just give you a big hug right now!

    Thank you for sharing, Julie! You are truly an amazing and inspiring woman!

    xo,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete