Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Julie's California Blog - Day 14

Julie's California Blog - Day 14, Saturday, April 13, 2013






Turn over day. Sadly, I took Stevie to the airport this morning for her trip back to Houston. We had such a nice time. I'm so glad you came to hang out, Stevie. I hope you enjoyed your California experience. I miss you already. Who will I go "day drinkin" with? Guess it's time to detox for a few days anyway.

I haven't mentioned much about the new condo because I'm so grateful to get out of the old, worn out condo where I spent my first week. This condo is renovated and really lovely. But it's very small. Even the dogs have to turn sideways to pass each other in the hall. There is a beautiful shower in the master bedroom. The owner really did a nice job with the tile work which includes a waterfall feature in the shower. There is also a large beautiful window in the shower with a nice view of the neighborhood ... and no window covering. I learned if I let the shower warm up, the window fogs and hopefully people can't see in. I haven't seen anyone out there doubled over laughing and waving at me, so I have to assume they cannot see in.

I decided to vacuum the sandy floors this morning. Yes, my dear cynical friends, I still know how to turn on and use a vacuum cleaner! I don't want to make a living doing this, but I haven't forgotten how. I plugged the vacuum cleaner in to an outlet in the front bedroom and vacuumed the whole condo from that plug and the vacuum doesn't have a particularly long cord. This place is small but the good news is, there aren't many places to loose things like the dogs, car keys or my wine glass. Admittedly, I feel a little claustrophobic, but the view is spectacular and if I keep focused on the vast horizon of the Pacific, my world opens right up.

This is the first day since I've been here that we've had cloudy gray skies ... all day. Even though it's chilly and gray, the beaches are filled with groups of people playing volley ball, albeit in sweats instead of bikinis. It's given me a great reason to stay inside and catch up on my blog entries, paperwork and laundry. That being done, it's now time to find some trouble.



My new friend, Todd, the musician/drywall dude invited me to his "gig" tonight at Zina, a Czechoslovakian restaurant with live entertainment. Yelp says they have authentic home cooked Czech food. Yum?? Since it was the only offer on the table and I was tired of watching The Jerry Springer marathon on tv, I decided to give it a go. I found Zina to be one of those ethnic, knuckle buster joints where they ask if you are armed before you come in and if you AREN'T, they issue a weapon. It was packed with an older crowd, so I fit right in. Todd's band played classic rock, which I love. Todd's rocker look comes complete with tattoos, piercings longer hair than mine and he always performs wearing sunglasses. The sunglasses are his "signature" look. I had one invitation to dance. Good to know I've still got it ... at least with the older, over weight, truck drivin, beer drinkin, smoke stained toothed, rough ridin types. I passed on the dance, stayed for one set and went back to the comfort of Jerry Springer and the dogs.
Many of you have commented on my blog. Thanks! It's great hearing from you. I want to hear what you're up to, so please fill me in.

More news later.

No comments:

Post a Comment