Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Julie's California Blog - Day 10

Julie's California Blog - Day 10, April 9, 2013

Oh my gosh! What a beautiful morning. The winds have diminished. There is not a cloud in the sky, the waves are back to normal, it's getting warmer outside and the sand doesn't have a single foot print - for now, anyway. I'm sure the beach will fill quickly on such a fantastic day. When I looked outside this morning, I discovered an entire land mass that I've not seen since I've been here. Going north the shore line curves around. Turns out, it's Santa Monica and Malibu. Yesterday's wind cleared the air.

Stevie arrived around lunch time. We returned her rental car to Hertz and decided to get the cheeseburger fix out of the way first thing. So we found the In and Out Burger near LAX. Sometimes, there just isn't a substitute for a good 'ole burger! Californians love their In and Out Burgers. Cars are lined up at the drive through around the building almost 24/7. 


After lunch, we ran a few errands. Up to this point, ANY wine was good enough to make the old condo look better. But since I've moved to the nicer condo, I needed nicer wine. Unfortunately, the grocery store, Ralph's, is very limited in that area, so we stopped at Whole Foods to re-stock. We found some excellent Chardonnay and a few snacks and were good to go.

The new condo is nicer, but the pillows are flat and hard and feel like they are stuffed with telephone books. Now I'm no princess and probably couldn't tell if there was a pea under the mattress, but I can certainly tell if the pillow case is stuffed with telephone books. I'm sure you would agree, it makes for a difficult night's sleep. So our next stop was to Home Goods to buy pillows for the beds in the condo. Since the sheets are kind of crappy, too, I ran across a set of sheets that included pillow cases, which I needed for the new pillows, so I bought them as well. When we got home, Stevie helped me put the new sheets on the bed. They must have been miss-marked or factory seconds or something because they did not fit the bed very well. We put the fitted sheet on the head of the bed and then curled up the mattress at the foot of the bed and pulled the sheets over the corners and let it go thinking it would fall down flat. Nope! When we let go of the mattress, instead of falling down flat, the mattress remained curled up like a bowl.


Since I have the princess analogy going on here, it was sort of like trying to put the ugly stepsister's foot in Cinderella's slipper. Just did NOT work. We laughed until we cried and then started trying to get the mattress to lie flat, without much success. So tonight, I will sleep in a curled up bed that looks like a hammock. But by golly ... I have new sheets and a fluffy soft pillow!

Stevie treated me to lunch, so it was my turn to buy dinner. I decided to take her to American Junkie for Shrimp Tacos and $3.00 wine, but instead, we got side tracked at Baha Sharkey's on The Pier. They have a nice happy hour, buy one, get the 2nd drink for .25¢. The margaritas looked good, so we stayed for dinner. The food was OK. I would give it 2 stars out of 5. Maybe the rating would have improved it we'd had more of the .25¢ margaritas.

However, the people watching on The Pier is certainly worthy of 5 stars! This gentleman came dancing by during dinner. Apparently, he is re-living his previous life as an Indian. He looked like a cross between Captain Jack Sparrow and Tonto. Notice the pony tail on top of his head, accompanied by pony tails wrapped in ribbons and beads on each side of his head and another on the back of his head. Instead of pants, he's wrapped in a crocheted blanket, carrying a bed roll. The cowboy boots really put the finishing touch on this fashion statement. Unfortunately, this photo doesn't show the peculiarity of his gait, which really accounts for at least 3 of his 5 star rating. California is truly the land of fruits and nuts. But it's also very interesting and unpredictable. 

Stevie and I walked back to the condo to watch a beautiful sunset and discuss our plans for tomorrow. By 8:50, we were yawning and saying good night. That's so WRONG! At 8:51, I received a text from my son saying he just woke from a nap and since it is too early to go hang out with his friends, he's going to study for a while. Youth is wasted on the young.

No comments:

Post a Comment