Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Monaco GrandPrix - Today is the Day!

May 28, 2016



Entering the harbor in Monaco for the GrandPrix Qualifying rounds.  It's a lovely warm and sunny day in Monaco.
No early wake up call today!   It was quite nice sleeping a little later.  I had good intentions of getting up early enough for a brisk walk, but my lazy side kicked in and I chose to work on my blog instead.  I was a few days behind and needed to catch up.  Sorry.

Around noon, I walked to the beach and hopped in an awaiting tender which delivered me to the 260 foot mega yacht which is to be our viewing stand for the Monaco GrandPrix.   Parked in the Harbor at a prime viewing spot, situated to see the Formula 1 cars zooming out of the tunnel at speeds of 200 miles per hour, them immediately slamming on the brakes to make a round-about turn, followed by accelerating on the straight away right behind the yacht.  Lots of excitement and action here.  And plenty of noise.  



Enjoying the GrandPrix qualifying round on the yacht.
Not 30 seconds into the qualifying round, one of the cars blew an engine right behind the boat.  Get this ... a crane was hooked to the disabled race car, which then lifted it from the track and placed it in the pit area adjacent to the track.  There are cranes strategically located around the track for the sole purpose of removing wrecked or disabled cars.  For some reason, I found that fascinating.  




Crane lifts race car off track.
The boat is about as expected ... over the frickin top!!   With three levels, full bars on each level, a music system blaring great music and plenty of tasty food, I was quite happy.  The yachts are anchored about 50 feet away from the dock and Tenders are not allowed to drop off or pick up passengers while the cars are running for fear of a car going off track and into the water.  Distance is our safety friend here.   So if one doesn't arrive to the yacht before the cars start to run, one waits until the cars are off the tract to get on or off the yacht.  Qualifying rounds began at 2:00. 


My dear friend, Gail.  As beautiful on the inside as the outside!!
Jac slept in a bit and didn't make it to the Tender in time to get to the yacht.  Instead, she had a horrible day poolside at the hotel.  That's Jac.  She turns lemons into lemonade.   I caught up with her at the pool a bit later in the afternoon to rest up before the huge grand finale party this evening on the yacht.  



The organizers of The Run to Monaco, Christo and Chris take a much needed break from the action and enjoy a bit of sunshine on the yacht.  Amazing hosts!  Thank you!
Bruce, Gail and I met in the bar for pre-party cocktails around 7:30 to await the 8:00 Tender to the yacht.  Dressed to the nines and ready for a fun evening, the organizer of the event stopped by to tell us a bit about the party.  The Tenders take us to the party, we ride home in a car.  Problem is, the earliest car to leave the party is scheduled at 11:30.  Taxi's were an option if we wanted to leave earlier, but we'd have to pay for that - a fee of 800.00 Euros and an hour drive back to the hotel because of traffic.  The more information we got, the less appealing the party sounded to us.  So we did what all "old people" would do ... passed on the party and had a lovely dinner at the hotel.  We kissed Jac and sent her on her way to the party.  She had a fabulous time and was one of the last to leave the yacht party.  (She's a chip off the ole block!)  It was sun-up before she finally got back to the room.  It was a wonderful party for the 25 - 35 year old group.  But the older people who attended told us we'd made the right choice. 



"Little People" at the yacht party added some interest.

Jac showed me photos of the party.  There were fire blowers and midgets - excuse me - little people running around the yacht.  A brass band played music and there was lots of drinking and dancing.   Like I said, perfect for the youngsters.

Sunday morning, GrandPrix day, we awoke to a clap of thunder.  Rain was pouring from the sky.  Race time came a bit early for Jacqueline.  I have to give credit where credit is due, she rallied and we went to the race.  Yes, in the rain.  Jac looked adorable in her dress and hat that she bought in London specifically for the race. 

 As for me ... I opted for a pair of white jeans, a tee-shirt and my Patagonia jacket.  If I was going to get wet, I didn't want to ruin the white pant suit that I'd originally planned to wear.  It turned out to be an excellent call.




Hey guys ... look where I am.  The Monaco GrandPrix.


Parked in the Monaco Harbor, this is a view of some of the other yachts and the grandstands.  Every balcony and rooftop on the surrounding buildings are jammed with folks.



Arriving at the Yacht in the rain for the Monaco GrandPrix.  It may have rained on the race, but not on our "parade."  We had a stellar time anyway.
Before the race began, the race car drivers were driven around the track on a flatbed to greet the fans.  Yachts were blaring their horns and and the crowds were going crazy, cheering on the drivers.
Espresso in one hand and a Bloody Mary in the other, Jac is rebounding from the party in perfect form.
Bruce and Gail watch the race.

Kicking off the race in style, Julie, Trish and Gail toast the drivers.
Jac with new friends, Katie (left) and Carmella (right).  Carmella is a United Nations Ambassador and Katie is her assistant.
As the race began, the rain came down harder.   The race cars were leaving "rooster tails" of spray behind them.  I have no idea how the drivers could see anything when getting hosed by the spray at 200+ miles per hour.  Amazing!  It rained until the last few laps of the race, when the clouds cleared and the skies turned deep blue.  I'll bet the guys who crashed on the wet pavement were a little miffed about that!!  I would have been.  And of course, there were plenty of crashes to keep the crowds entertained.  A guy named Lewis Hamilton won the race and afterwards celebrated with Justin Bieber.



Panoramic shot from the back of the yacht shows how the Tenders have access to the yachts when cars are NOT running.  The Panoramic shot makes this look like a curve when it's actually a straight away.  The race is moments from starting, just before the rain began to fall again.
Bruce, Gail and I left the yacht after the race.  I went back to the hotel to get packed for my early flight Monday morning.  Then we met for burgers in the bar, a delightful way to spend our last evening together.  

Jacqueline was the last to leave the yacht.   She came back to the hotel long enough to change into a cute black dress and her black heels and set off for a club called The Amber Lounge, a very exclusive and expensive place.  She was guest of someone she met on the yacht.  She must have had a great time, because I got a text from her around 4:30 to let me know she would be catching a later flight home.  She was having too much fun to leave the party to catch a flight at 5:00 a.m.  Of course, the mother side of me kicked in and I freaked out.  Is she going to be OK?  How will she get her flight changed?  Where is she going to stay?  She has to check out of this hotel in a few hours.  The worrisome questions went on and on.  

So I'm sitting in the Virgin Atlantic Lounge in Heathrow waiting to catch my flight to Atlanta and then on to Tampa.  I miss my travel buddy, but know she's having the time of her life in Monaco.  I would have done exactly the same thing at 25 years of age.  

I started this blog over a week ago with gratitude.  I'm ending it the same way ...  but adding immense awe to the gratitude.   This has been an epic trip for Jac and I.  How blessed am I to get to spend time with her at such a sensational event.  Thanks for being such a sport, Jac, and so much FUN to be with.  You were kind and patient with the "old people" and had fun with or without us, which brought such happiness to my heart.  Heck, we drove a Ferrari over one thousand miles across one of the most beautiful countries in the world, on challenging roads, at crazy speeds, and we made it without a scratch ... on our bodies and no unkind words.  (The car didn't fare as well.) We were entertained with parties and gifts and made so many new friends.  What's not to love about it?  The greatest gift was our time together - as the Mother and Daughter Run to Monaco Team.   I sort of feel like the two of us can conquer the world.  Which, by the way, Jac, with your awesome help ... I feel like we are conquering cancer together!!  Thank you for taking such excellent care of me last month during my surgery.  Your love and compassion will take you far in your future as a doctor.   

And Bruce and Gail, we have another incredible trip under our belts.  You're such a joy to travel with.  We seem to go with the flow ... with such ease.  You both make me feel so  inclusive and welcome in your group.  Bruce, you are such a sport!  Not many men can handle "two needy wives."  But you make it seem effortless.  I'm so grateful for your friendship and treasure our time together.  Thanks for coming on The Run to Monaco.  I look forward to our next adventure this summer in Europe as well as some fun times in Aspen! 



As for The Run to Monaco ... we're already making plans for next year!!  A week of parties and fun prompted an excellent quote from Jac, we're now on the "Run to Rehab!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment