Monday, May 23, 2016

London - We've Brought the USA Stimulus Package to You.

May 23, 2016

Good morning London!  FINALLY!  I think the jet lag is behind me.  I popped up this morning, had a lovely breakfast with Jacqueline and then went for a 4 mile hike through Regent Park. 
 
A Walk in Regent Park.
It felt great to get some exercise.  The only exercise I've done so far has been "six ounce curls and stretching the truth" ... a quote from my dear friend Kate.  Oh yes, I have slashed my way through Selfridges with my American Express, too.  I guess that's a workout of sorts.  The park is beautiful and the temperature was perfect for a power walk.  Crossing streets in London can be a bit intimidating at times and downright dangerous.  Even though they have signs written on the street saying "Look Right" or "Look Left", it's still darn confusing with cars and bikes coming from every direction.  Somehow, I managed to get back to the hotel in one piece.



Stig lives. 
Oh, by the way For those Top Gear fans ... The Stig lives and he's larger than life.  Who's behind that helmet???

We're off to Selfridges again today to buy a suitcase.  Jacqueline was counting on extra space in my suitcase to put some of her things, but my suitcases were maxed out when I arrived.  With the few purchases that we acquired this week, OK, several purchases, we had no choice.  New suitcase ... here we come.

Local London Urinal.
This telephone booth is to typically London.  In the age of cell phones, we don't see many phone booths in the U.S.  So, of course, I had to have the phone booth photo.  Turns out, about the only thing these are used for are urinals.  I can't imagine standing inside this box making a call.  It reeked of urine.  I guess Londoners are not all that "proper" after all.

We had a nice free lunch at the Club Level again and then set off to meet Jacqueline's friends, Antonio and Ryan.  I've heard so many things about these two characters from Jacqueline, I felt I knew them already.  They didn't disappoint.  We met at The Duke Hotel Bar, known in London for it's exquisite martinis. 
 
Antonio and Jac at The Duke Hotel
A martini is quite a production here.  The waiter brings a cart to the table filled with ingredients for the perfect martini and begins pouring from the frozen bottles into the  delicate martini glasses.  The truth is, it's a glass filled with straight booze.  I suppose I haven't acquired a taste for a strong drink, but I managed to get it down.  The martini fanfare was interesting and quite fun.



Martini Production at Duke Bar.


Duke Hotel Bar Martinis.  Ouch!!
After martini's we went to a fabulous Indian restaurant called Dishoom.  Here, we ordered a REAL cocktail.  

Dishoom Punch.  OK.  I did share it.
It was called Dishoom Punch, priced at 29.00 pounds (converts to $42.00), and is to be shared by 4 people.  It was quite tasty and fun to share. 



Jac's friends, Antonio and Ryan.
The Indian food was beyond spectacular.  Best food by far that I've had in London.  Well, perhaps that's because we've been eating most of our meals at the Club Level, which have consisted of tea sandwiches, veggies and various other finger foods.  But I've eaten in London many times and Dishoom was by far the best.  Indian spices are so alive and tasty.  Wish we had time to visit this place again.  Next time.

Time to pack our gear and get ready for our flight to Venice tomorrow, where The Run to Monaco officially begins.  This is why we're here!  So excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment