Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Final Day on Regent Seven Seas Explorer

Our last day on the ship was spent at sea.  After our usual breakfast in the suite, Haynes and I hit the gym for a workout.  It wasn't particularly crowded in the gym, which is unusual for a day at sea.  When we got back to the suite, we found out why.  Our bags were in the suite waiting to be packed.  I guess they've had enough of us.  


Must be time to leave.

Think they are trying to tell us something???
Not quite ready to pack it in yet, we went upstairs to the pool deck for lunch with our friends from The Vintage Club.  It was fun talking about highlights of the trip and saying our goodbyes to new and old friends.


Farewell lunch at the pool deck.
After lunch, we finally decided to go pack our stuff.  An easy task, as I know exactly what I'm going to take ... all of the crap I brought.  Seems simple, right?  The only thing we bought abroad was the argon oil and cream products.  They didn't take up much room in my suit case.  But we discovered several unopened bottles of booze at the bar and I believe in the theory of "waste not, want not."  So we started loading our bags with Vodka, Tequila, wine and champagne bottles.  I finally got everything loaded and then couldn't move the suitcase.  Thank God for "Mr. Muscle," aka Haynes!  I don't know how United Airlines will react when we throw these suitcases on the belt at check in.  Thank God, they are on wheels.  

Our packed bags had to be outside our door by 8:00 tonight.  I showered before dinner so that all of my toiletries and work out clothes could be packed.  I was well organized, getting clothes out for the trip home tomorrow morning.   I finally finished with the packing project and put my bags outside the door when I realized, I had nothing to wear for dinner tonight.  Two choices, either drag the heavy bag back inside and unpack the booze, argon oils and dirty laundry to find something to wear for dinner, which by the way, was in suite tonight.  More on that later.  Or, I could just continue to wear my bathrobe.  I opted for the robe and died laughing when Haynes appeared from his room in the same attire!  He did exactly the same thing, packing everything except for clothes to wear home.  So, we just enjoyed our dinner in the plush Regent Seven Seas Explorer robes.  


Hors d'oeuvres on the terrace.
More caviar from Fernando!!  Awesome!!
Now, about dinner.  Fernando is from India.  During the cruise, we were talking about his country and I told him about my visit last November to Agra.  I also mentioned that I love Indian food.  So Fernando came to our suite while we were at lunch and prepared a beautiful table on the veranda for our dinner tonight.  He and some of his Indian mates, prepared a fabulous Indian meal for us.  It was the sweetest thing EVER! 
 
Fernando prepared the table for dinner on the veranda.
Haynes and I with Fernando ... worlds greatest Butler!!


Fernando prepared fabulous Indian cuisine for dinner tonight.
Fernando served each dish, describing each course and explaining the traditional importance of each.  The meal was delicious.  Perhaps the best Indian food I've ever had and certainly the most meaningful.  Fernando was so proud to be able to prepare this dinner for us.  I wish I could pack Fernando.  I'd gladly ditch the booze and argon oil to tuck him in my bag and smuggle him back to the U.S.  What an amazing butler, who became a friend.  

About half way through the meal, Gail was peeking over the rail of her suite and we insisted they come down to join us.  Gail said they had McDonald's in their suite and couldn't believe that Fernando had prepared this incredible meal for us.  We had cocktails as Fernando continued to dish out fabulous food while the sun was setting on our last day at sea. 
 
Bruce and Gail join us for our sunset dinner on the veranda.


Final sunset.  What a lovely sent off.
This meal prepared by Fernando had to be the highlight of the trip for me.  Yes, we went to some interesting places.  But for me, the personal experience of sharing Fernando's culture and ... I have to admit ... being pampered and treated so nicely, was pretty special.  Fernando will never read this, so he'll never know how much I appreciated him.  We did tell him and I'm sure Haynes showed our appreciation with a generous tip.  But Fernando was an incredible butler who made this cruise extra special for us.  Thank you Fernando.

We had an early call the next morning as our flight departed Barcelona at 10:40.  Fernando brought us one more tasty breakfast on the veranda of our suite, we said our goodbyes and were off the ship.  


Breakfast on the veranda.  One could get used to this!!
The transfer to the airport went seamlessly, even though I heard several grunts and moans as porters were lifting our bags.  We arrived in plenty of time to relax in the United Lounge before time to depart.  The flight to Newark from Barcelona was 8 hours, but went by pretty quickly after a couple of movies, lunch and a nap.  


On United flight to Newark.
All settled in for the ride to Newark.
When we arrived in Newark, I continued on to Aspen and Haynes left for Tampa.  It's been a great trip with a dear friend and I'll miss him terribly.  

I just landed in Aspen and I'm soooooo happy to be here.  I had a wonderful trip, but Aspen is where my heart is.  I've always loved being here.  I missed half of the summer in Aspen this year and it seemed I only just arrived when it was time to leave for this cruise.  Don't misconstrue my point.  I'm glad we went!  I wouldn't change a thing, but I'm just saying ... It's good to be back!!


Don't even mind the unpacking mess.

Another reason I'm glad to be back.  Golf with good friends on a Chamber of Commerce, perfect weather day!!



  It's not quite this cool in Tampa today. Sorry folks.






No comments:

Post a Comment