Saturday, September 3, 2016

Agadir, Morocco

Agadir, Morocco - Wednesday, August 31, 2016

This morning, we docked in Agadir.  (Pronounced Aga-DEAR)  We were on a mission.  I wanted to find a birthday gift for Karen AND more Argon Oil products.  I found them in Marrakesh last fall while traveling with National Geographic and like an addict, I need more.  

Haynes and I hopped on the shuttle to town and set off to find Argon products.  Immediately after stepping off the shuttle, we were accosted by local cab drivers wanting to take us to see the sights.  I had my "Don't f-ck with me walk," passing all the drivers.  But Haynes was a much kinder American and quickly made a deal with one of the drivers to take us to the bazar to find what we were looking for.   Our driver, Monte, spent 7 years in New York City driving a taxi, so his English was understandable.  He regretted leaving the US.  Said it was the biggest mistake of his life.  He knows he'll never get back to the US now as he has a wife and two children.  But Monte was quite proud of his city of Agadir and took us to see the sights.  Along the way, he stopped at a "Government Approved" shop where we loaded up on Argon products that are "guaranteed" to be true Argon products.  If not satisfied with the products, we can sue.  Ha!  Sue who?? 


Local Moroccan Women grind the argon beans.  Very authentic.  "Hey Hassan, bring in the beeches to grind the beans for the tourists."

"Authentic" locally grown argon bean.  Recently eaten by the tree goats and then redeposited for collection.

After the Argon shop, Monte took us to a "souvenir" shop where we could find anything we could possibly want.  All the products here are authentic and not imported from China. 

 
All things sold here are guaranteed to be made right here in Morocco, instead of imported from China.  Also guaranteed kickback to driver!!  We bought a small leather pouch for Karen's gift and got out of here.  P.S.  We were the only customers in the five story shop.  
I found a leather pouch to hold the Argon creams that we bought for Karen's birthday gift.  Then we set off for where I wanted to go in the first place ... the Bazar.  By the time we reached the Bazar, it was time for the merchants to close shop for the afternoon, reopening at 4:00.  Monte had successfully stalled us long enough at the local merchant's shops, who obviously provide him with a handsome kickback, to keep us out of the Bazar. Oh well, we had already accomplished what we set out to do ... Argon products and a birthday gift, so Monte drove us around to see the sights of the city.  Agadir has beautiful 5 star hotels and gorgeous beaches with a fabulous boardwalk winding along the beach for miles.  I wish I would have hopped off the ship earlier and walked the beach for a workout.  I can't imagine why I would ever return to this area, but just in case, I know how to spend my time.  On the beach.  Lovely.



The beach and walkway extend for miles.

Should have spent my time here instead of the crap shop.
Haynes negotiating our way AWAY from our taxi driver, Monte.

After our shopping expedition, we returned to the ship for lunch.  ViJay and Johnson have grown accustomed to our cocktail order, so the minute we sat down, a cocktail appeared in front of us.  I hate being this predictable!  I had good intentions of an iced tea lunch.  But NO!  I gave in to temptation and had a three cocktail lunch.  

We ran into Karen and decided to give her her birthday gift before dinner.  Haynes ran to the room to grab the gift.  I had put the cream and lotions and potions in the leather pouch, but hadn't completed the wrapping, so Haynes improvised.  He cut a bloom off the orchid in our room, placed it in the bag and then tied the whole package together with the clip that was holding the bloom to the support stick in the pot.  Amazing job, really!!  Well done Haynes.  Wish I had taken a photo of the gift.  

Catching a few rays and cocktails poolside.

Nora and I being serenaded by the ship's roving band.

Having enough sun, Haynes resorts to my hat for protection.  He rocks it!!
We ran into our friends, Don and Nora at the pool and enjoyed the afternoon with them while sitting poolside.  

I've learned a few things from my friends, like Red.  Red leaves the limes in his drink so he can keep up with his cocktail count.  My glass is filled with limes, so I suppose it was time to call it quits for a while and return to the room to get ready for dinner.


Thinking of my friend, Red.  Thanks for the count.

This evening, we invited Richard and Christine to dinner at La Chambre.  Haynes wasn't feeling well, so I had to go it alone.  You may remember, we met Richard and Christine early on in the cruise, the evening we had dinner with the ship's Purser.  I thought they are an interesting couple.  What I've learned since about them ... Christine is on a mission to find a suitable girlfriend for Richard, who is coming off two recent relationships with girls less than half his age.  Richard, 70 and looks 40, has been dating girls in their 20's and 30's.  One girl, he dated for almost 10 years and finally ended the relationship when he found out she (rather HE) was financing her boyfriend's visits around the world.  This girl was in her late 20's.  Richard's son is over 40.  And he can't figure out why these relationships aren't working out!  Duh!!  Too stupid for a mature woman, I guess.  Anyway, it made for interesting dinner conversation.  



I sent dinner to the suite for Haynes, but when I returned to the room, he was still not feeling well and was in his room sound asleep.  So I tossed the uneaten steak in a zip lock bag and put it in the frig for later.   

Tomorrow, we dock at Casablanca.      

No comments:

Post a Comment