Thursday, September 17, 2015

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

We awoke this morning to rain and fog.  The prediction for the rest of the day looked bleak.  So we did what anybody would do ... we went to breakfast.   

Afterwards, we decided we didn't come all this way to sit around a less than stellar hotel, so we set out from the Tenaya Lodge to check out Glacier Point.  I'm so glad we did!!  By the time we arrived (about an hour later) the skies began to clear opening up the view.  


Glacier Point at Yosemite may be the most magnificent thing I've ever seen.  The mountains that stood before us were smoothly rounded solid granite domes, the most famous, of course, Half Dome.  The domes gave way to a deep valley below.  Water falls and Huge Ponderosa Pines accented the hillsides.   

A cloud has attached itself to the flat side of Half Dome.

My new friend, Ava and I check out the view.

A photo of Jasone, Ava and Half Dome without the cloud cover.  
There is really no way for me to explain the spectacular views of Yosemite from Glacier Point, so I'll just post some photos.





We walked around the point to check out the view from various angles.  Simply awe-inspiring.  

Sharon and Ava 
 We took in the site for almost an hour and then set off to the Valley Floor.  We were following our new friends, Jasone and Ava.  Jasone's navigation system was not working properly so we missed our turn and ended up back at the hotel.  By this time, the rain was moving back in AND it was cocktail hour anyway.   So we parked in our reserved parking area and called it a day.   I'll have to come back to Yosemite to see the Valley Floor.  When I do, I'll be wearing my hiking shoes because there are numerous hikes in the area.

We had a lovely dinner at Embers at the Tenaya Lodge.  

Tomorrow we're off to Monterey.


No comments:

Post a Comment