Monday, July 29, 2019

Asia - Dubai - Monday, February 19, 2018


FlyHigh Dubai Helicopter Service.

This morning, we met our guide, Janine and drove to the Atlantis Heliport for a helicopter tour of Dubai.  The well organized FlyHigh Dubai Helicopter Service led us through our safety briefing, weighed us (to determine where to properly place us in the helicopter for even weight distribution) and strapped a life jacket around our waists before loading us up.  Once we were all safely tucked inside, we were off to see the sights. 

"If you read that out loud, I'll kill you."

"Nooooo!  Going to the gym tonight!"

Midge getting suited up.

Life Jackets in place and good to go.
Midge

Julie and Stevie
Co-pilot, Pat
Photographer Lorri.

Midge, Stevie, Julie, Lorri and Pat

We first flew over Palm Island, the iconic man made island of Dubai.  Sheikh Mohammed decided he wanted to attract more wealthy ex-patriots to Dubai.  However, they wanted beach front property.  The 40 miles of beach front was already in use.   Money being no object, Sheikh Mohammed commissioned new waterfront property to be man made.  In 2002, construction began on Palm Island.  Finished in 2007, Palm Island doubled the beach front property in Dubai.  The lots sold out within 72 hours, mostly to folks wanting to "flip" them.  Of course the financial crisis of 2008 did not serve the "flippers" well.  


Palm Tree Island.  Man made from sea sand.  

Our hotel is on Palm Island.  I have a view of Palm Island from my hotel room.  These are not elevated properties.  They are literally built right on the sand ... not up on pilings ... just on the sand.  I wonder how long it will be before this island is swallowed by the sea once again.  It's beautiful, but certainly not practical. Apparently there have not been storms and tidal surges to take out the islands.  

After Palm Island, we moved along to World Islands, an exclusive area of man made islands that are supposed to resemble the world.  The outer breakwater wall is in place to protect the "sand piles," aka individual personal islands with a starting price tag of $8 million.  Oh, by the way, that's without infrastructure of an kind.  No water, sewer, power.  Nothing.   Just don't get much for $8,000,000.00 any more. 


World Island. Only a few of the private islands have been developed.
The breakwater barrier is built up with large rocks that seem to protect the islands.  One island was developed by a Sheikh several years ago, complete with trees.  However, the water is too shallow to park his yacht near his island.  He has to leave his yacht several miles away at the local yacht club.   A few of the other islands are just beginning development.  I find all this artificial creation fascinating, but do not see how it can be sustained long term.





New Dubai with Palm Island to the right and the Eye of Dubai Farris Wheel on the left.

We continued the helicopter flight around Dubai, seeing skyscrapers, the Farris Wheel, Marinas and desert landscape.  One of the most interesting buildings we circled, and will visit next, is called The Frame.  



The Frame

Standing tall and separating Old Dubai from New Dubai, The Frame is literally an enormous building in the shape of a gold picture frame.   Typical "Dubai," (wanting to be the biggest and best in the world) The Frame is considered to be the biggest picture frame on the planet.  

Originally designed by Fernando Donis, who submitted his plan to the 2009 ThyssenKrupp Elevator International Award, Donis won the competition and was awarded $100,000.00.  The government of Dubai built the Frame, but never gave Donis credit as architect.  Donis filed suit against the municipality of Dubai and the ThyssenKrupp Elevator Company saying he was never compensated nor received ownership of the copyright of the building.  The legal battle continues today.  Thus The Frame is controversially considered the biggest stolen building of all time. 

Stevie stands by the entrance to the frame.  Gives perspective as to the vast size of this building.

At the top of this photo, one can see the glass floor where we will soon be standing.
I'm a bit vain to write this, but people over the age of 60 are allowed to visit The Frame for FREE!  I got carded!  First time I've ever been carded to prove I'm a senior citizen.  I suppose I should be flattered that the attendant didn't believe that I was over 60. 



View of Old Dubai.

Looking out on the other side of The Frame, one sees New Dubai.
The ground level of The Frame is a museum showing what Old Dubai looked like from 50 years ago to  present day.  We took the elevator to the upper level of The Frame.  The floor up here is glass.  I didn't think that would bother me.  However, it just takes blind faith when stepping out on that clear glass with nothing but space below all the way to the ground 492 feet below.  I did it. of course, but it was a little frightening and disconcerting.  


Midge

Stevie

I guess I thought I would be lighter if I crouched.  I didn't want to break the glass.

It was a strange feeling standing on glass with nothing but void space to the ground 492 feet below.

Lorri.


After leaving The Frame, we stopped at a Souk for a little shopping, where I found absolutely NOTHING that I needed to buy.  I'm trying to purge and get rid of crap at home.  I don't need to add to it.  But it was a quite colorful and interesting visit. 


Janine describes and let's us experience the fragrant spices.

Another "world's largest" in Dubai ... The world's LARGEST ring.  

The ice cream is made of camel milk.  Quite tasty!!



Ok, this is a bit over the top ... even for ME!

Just say NO.
There was shop after shop of incredibly gaudy gold jewelry for sale.  Ornate necklaces that hung from the neckline to the waistline with huge medallions and chains.  Now I usually like anything gaudy and over done.  But this was way beyond my limit.

Finally, after the Souk, we treated ourselves to lunch at Burj al Arab.  The symbol of Dubai, Burj al Arab is a seven star hotel resembling a sail boat.  One is not allowed on the grounds of Burj al Arab without a reservation to spend the night or dine in one of the many restaurants.  We had reservations for lunch at the top of the hotel. 



Built on it's own tiny island, Burj al Arab is another icon for Dubai.




Burj al Arab is built right on the water.  The pool and terrace around the pool were built in Finland and then floated to Dubai on huge barges.  I guess when money is no object, one can buy anything, anywhere to be delivered anyplace, anytime!
  


This multi-story terraced fountain complete with laser lights and dancing water greets visitors.

Huge columns of gold leaf line the inside of the structure.

The front of the building resembles a sail boat.
This motley crew awaits our lunch reservation on the top floor.

The meal was unique beginning with an appetizer of golden beets served with pop rocks on a bed of shaved purple radish.  Even though I got carded at The Frame for being so damn old, I had flashbacks of childhood as those pop rocks exploded in my mouth. 


Golden Beet and Pop Rock appetizer.
Stevie was in charge of ordering the wine.

To be a fancy seven star hotel, the table decor is a bit sparse.
We put our wine connoisseur/sommelier, Stevie in charge of the choosing the wine to go with our Turbot fish dish.  She did not disappoint with an amazing bottle of 2009 Meursault Clos de la Barre.   I knew it must be a special white wine when the waiter decanted it.  Stevie insisted that she get the bill for the wine instead of splitting it amongst us.  Very kind of her.  But somehow, our credit cards got mixed up and she used MY credit card to pay for it.   We didn't notice until my phone pinged, which is does any time my American Express card is charged,  Imagine my surprise when I was pinged with a $1,300.00 charge for a bottle of wine at Burj al Arab!! 

First clue to the wine price ... decanted.


My favorite new wine!!  At $1300.00 a bottle, it won't stop me from drinking, but it might slow me down a bit.
We all got a hysterical laugh out of how generous Stevie was with my credit card.  Later, she slipped the cash in my purse, but I immediately gave it back.  I'm saving Stevie for something special!  And besides, as generous as Stevie has ALWAYS been, I'm honored to buy her a bottle of wine!

After lunch, we made our way back to our hotel.  It was time to check in with the National Geographic team and pick up our credentials for our expedition.  Also time to pack up the bags and prepare for our departure Tuesday morning.
  
Dinner with National Geographic group.  Midge, Julie, Lorri, Pat and Stevie.

Tonight, we had a lovely cocktail party and dinner where we had an opportunity to meet and greet the rest of our fellow National Geographic travelers and say hello to those we've traveled with before.  After dinner, I packed my bag and was ready for pick up at 10:00.  I fell into bed for a few hours sleep until my 2:15 wake up call from a circling mosquito.  I decided to go ahead and get up since I had to be downstairs for breakfast by 4:15 a.m. and a 5:00 departure for Katmandu, Nepal.




No comments:

Post a Comment