Friday, November 20, 2015

Marrakech, Morocco





Tuesday, November 17th, 2015



Flight track from Jordan to Morocco.
We left Jordan this morning, arriving in Marrakech mid afternoon.  The La Mamounia Hotel is exquisite!  I could stay here and be quite comfortable.  Stunning is another way to describe our accommodations.  The beautiful warm dark wood accented with  deep colors characterize the Moroccan architecture along with elaborately carved archways and domes.  The ornamental hardware of doors and colorful fabrics complete the look as well as lots of gardens filled with roses and date palms.  

This evening, we had dinner at the hotel and turned in early to rest up for our tours of Marrakech in the morning.

Wednesday, November 18th, 2015

I was awakened this morning by Muslims chanting their "call to prayer" ... at 5:15 a.m.   The call to prayer chanting and humming is eerie and mysterious, but quite pleasant.  But 5:15 a.m.??  Really??

Our tour around Medina (the old city) was uneventful, but quite pretty. We visited the palace and a school.  I love the "fussiness" of the intricately carved doors, ceilings and windows.   The Moroccans didn't miss a decorating opportunity, often spending as much on the ceiling decor as the rest of the room. 

Just love all of the Moroccan architecture.

They didn't miss a decorating opportunity as shown above at this door opening.

We add to the decoration.
We've  have a listening device for this entire trip.  Everywhere we go, I've had a receiver around my neck and an earbud stuck in my ear listening to our guide tell us all about each location.  For the most part, it was really nice learning about Machu Picchu or Tibetan Monks.  But quite often, I would get distracted ... was that a chicken??  Or just plain board with an deluge of information.   OK.   I am officially "toured" out.  Time to turn in my "whisperer," which is the only thing that has not been a gift from NatGeo.   But I'm happy to see it go.  

Pat's photo made the pool look so inviting.  
After a fabulous poolside lunch, it was time to hit the Suk to mingle with the locals and one last opportunity to shop.  The Suk is a huge outdoor market where one can buy anything from Moroccan oils to shoes, to hand crafted locks, leather goods and antiques and hundreds of other "needful" things.  

As we entered the huge square of the Suk, we found women offering henna painting.  No thanks.  Already did that in India and still can't scrub if off.  There were also people wearing colorful costumes posing for photos , extending their hands for tips afterwards.  

Folks want a tip for a photo.
Everybody wanted money in exchange for photos.  Even shopkeepers wanted  money if you walked by and snapped a photo of their shops.   Perhaps the most interesting site was the snake charmer luring the snake from the comfort of his basket with his flute.  I don't know how this works.   Perhaps the same hypnotic physiology as Jacqueline's dog yawning every time she squeezes his paw.  But the snake isn't nearly as cute as Chewie!!  In fact, I didn't get close enough to take a photo of this as snakes kind of creep me out.  Especially one that's not in a cage or on a leash!!  There were also folks walking around with live snakes to be wrapped around our shoulders for a photo op.  There was no way this was going to happen to me.  Remember my B&R episode at the Cambodian Hospital?  (Bolt and Run.)  Well, that's exactly what I did when I saw a snake man coming my way.   

Discovering the colors of Marrakech.

These colorful rosettes are used in potpourri.
Pat and I were on a mission.  Earlier in the day, we walked past a blacksmith who specialized in elaborately decorated large locks and keys.   He supplies most of Marrakech with keys, door knockers, bolts 

Pat found her lock

I bought a smaller version too.
and other decorative hardware for doors.  We needed to find this shop again.  So we latched on to a local NatGeo guide who led us through the maze of shops directly to the lock maker.  Pat bought a huge lock and key.  I can't wait to see how she will display it in her home.   I bought a much smaller version, but equally as pretty.  The next stop was to find Argon Oil, which is just being introduced in the US as a skin treatment.  
Argon Oil.  Hope in a bottle!
In the states, we can buy products with a drop of Argon Oil, but here in Marrakech, they sell 100% Argon Oil.  Well, if it's "hope in a bottle," sign me up.  I bought two of them.   Our guide, Fattaha then took us to a shop to buy Moroccan caftans. 

 
I think the slacks hanging out distract from the beauty of these pieces. 
Didn't know I needed this either.  But I bough three of them.  Oops.  One is a gift for Jacqueline, but I think I'm safe saying she doesn't read my blog, so no harm in mentioning it here.  

We ran across several other items that we had to have, including a hand made leather puff - or hassock.  It didn't come with the "poof", but I can pick that up at Bed, Bath and Beyond when I get home.  I couldn't have packed it with the poof anyway.

With arms loaded, we headed back to the hotel.  I have to figure out how I'm getting all of this home.  

The grande finale dinner tonight was Moroccan food and bellydancers.  But the main event was Michael's slide show with photos taken throughout the trip.   Number one, it was fun reliving each place we visited.  Seems like so long ago that we set out on this journey beginning in Machu Picchu.  Number two, it was amazing to see the trip through the artful eyes of our world renowned National Geographic photographer.  Michael will be sending a DVD to each of us with all of his photos.  What a fabulous keepsake that I'd be happy to share with you.  I promise, Michael's photos will bring these places alive for you.  Thank you, Michael.  Not only for the photos, but for your time and patience helping us learn camera basics and how to get the perfect shot while on this trip of a lifetime.  I now know that an F-stop is not a place for food.  

Grande Finale dinner.  Julie, Jan, Pat, Michael, John, Janet, Yvette, Bruce and Gail.
We ended the evening as we have so many nights ... the last to leave the bar, trying to prolong the night to prevent the trip from ending.  But alas, all good things must come to an end.  (Who made  up that crap??)  Here's the quote I prefer to live by.  "You only live once.  But if you do it right, that's all it takes."   So the good times don't have to end if you do it right!!

The die hards close out another party.























No comments:

Post a Comment