Sunday, November 15, 2015

Agra, India

Wednesday, November 11th, 2015

Today was a travel day.  We flew on a commercial flight for 2 1/2 hours from Lhasa back to Chongqing (the polluted city).  Then we boarded our jet for a 5 1/2 hour flight  to India.  Fortunately, we were able to land right in Agra instead of Delhi.   Delhi is the closest commercial airport to the Taj Mahal.  From Delhi, it's another 5 hour drive to Agra.   National Geographic has obtained permission to land at the air station located in right in Agra.  No 5  hour bus ride for us!!  That's a pretty sweet deal.  

We arrived amidst Diwali's five day festival of lights celebration of Good over Evil.  This is the first stop where I felt like I was in a totally different part of the world.  The energy in the streets was mesmerizing.  

The streets of Agra are bustling with activity tonight.
The streets were crowded with people shopping for food and treats needed for Diwali celebrations.  As our huge bus navigated the narrow street, people smiled and waved at us.  Children chased the bus shouting greetings, waving frantically.  Fireworks were being set off throughout the city and all the homes and businesses were decorated with beautiful lights.  If I were to compare Diwali with a US holidays, it is as important to the Hindus as Christmas is to us.       


Amidst the chaos of the crowds, our driver explained that an Indian driver needs only three things ... A good horn, Good brakes and Good luck.  And, by the way, cows wander the streets freely. 

Cows wander the streets of Agra.

When we arrived at the hotel in Agra, The Oberoi Amarvillas,  we were treated to a Diwali celebration in the courtyard with fireworks and a prayer blessing followed by one of the best meals I've had on this trip.  

Candles fill the balloon with hot air allowing it to rise into the sky.


Gold Chrysanthemum leis are part of the Diwali celebration.
I'd forgotten how much I love Indian food.  The spices are so flavorful!  I was first introduced to Indian food years ago when Jeff and I were on a vegan kick.  The flavors tantalize the tastebuds!

After our two flights to India and the excitement of the Diwali celebration, I was exhausted.  

Time to go to bed and prepare for the sunrise photo shoot tomorrow at the Taj Mahal. 



Thursday, November 12th, 2015

Stretch.  Yawn.  Pull open the drapes.  Shock and delight!!  The view from my hotel overlooks the Taj Mahal!!  You don't wake up to this every day!!  

View from my room.   
We set off early this morning to catch the first light of the day at "the Taj."  Our five minute ride from the hotel to the Taj Mahal was in electric golf carts.  We cued up in the line, one for women and one for men, to go through security.   At each turn anticipation was building to see the Taj Mahal for the first time.  Finally, after clearing the security check point and walking down yet another long court yard, and a right hand turn later, I found myself facing the beautiful arched entrance framing the Taj Mahal.

  
The skies were hazy, but the Taj Mahal still looks beautiful.

I've learned the Taj Mahal was built by Emperor Shah Jahan , a Muslim, as a mausoleum honoring his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal, who died in childbirth with their 14th child.  Several years later, upon his death, he was buried with her.  This iconic building is one of the world's most celebrated structures.  


Michael, Julie and Pat.

We wandered the grounds of the Taj for a couple of hours.  The overwhelming beauty of the Taj Mahal was further enhanced by the people watching.  I shouldn't have been so surprised by the number of local Indian people visiting the Taj Mahal.  After all, we visit Washington DC and other national parks and landmarks.  I loved the Indian women in their colorful saris.  They seemed to be dressed in their "Sunday best," as we traipsed through in our khakis and tee shirts.  It almost felt a little disrespectful.  


Guard at the Jewelry Store

After the Taj, we visited THE jewelry store in Agra where the owner houses a museum of embroidery artwork by Shams.  Now this isn't my kind of art, but these pieces were absolutely amazing!  Shams made these pieces appear three dimensional by layering and stacking the silk threads.  His work took YEARS to complete.  I loose interest in needlepoint after a couple of hours.  I can't imagine spending literally years on a single piece.  Unfortunately, the photos don't show the true beauty and three dimensional aspect.  Stunning.


This piece is almost life-size and spectacular.

After checking out the museum, we went upstairs.  Something about jewelry.  My favorite colors are leopard and shiny.  Well, there were lots of shiny things here.  In fact, the store owner allowed us to try on a few pieces of that once belonged to the Queen.  


Royal jewels suit Pat perfectly!
They were quite nice, and looked sensational on Pat.  Didn't do much for me.  


Royal Jewels
I did find a couple of fun pieces that can be worn with everything.  A little retail therapy is good for the soul.


After shopping, we decided to return to the hotel for an afternoon of R & R.  We'd been running hard and a 
little down time felt good.  I needed to get my bags switched out for our trip to Africa and catch up on this blog.  What better place to work than the comfort of my room overlooking the Taj Mahal.  Awe-inspiring.  

Later that evening, we had so much fun at a typical Indian celebration.  The men's heads were wrapped in turbans and the ladies received beautiful Indian wraps and a bindi for our foreheads.  (A bindi is the red dot Hindu women wear on their forehead.)
  
Bruce is rockin the turban look!


Henna, Bindi and scarves adorn the women.
There was also a Henna hand painting station and belly dancers.  The mood was festive and very entertaining.  Then we had a fantastic Indian meal.  

For several years, friends have tried to convince me to visit India, but I had no desire.  The movie "Slumdog Millionaire" did nothing to change my mind.   I suppose I was fearful of the poverty and "class" system here.  Guess I envisioned starving children begging for money, filth, and crowds.  Yes, they do have that in India, but we have been well insulated from this, except for the drive from the airport.  And that was actually quite interesting.   I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong.  I loved India.  In fact, it may be my favorite place so far.   It has such an exotic, foreign, far away feel to it.  So different from our culture.  I could come back here.  Don't get me wrong ... I wouldn't want to live here.  But I could visit again.  Especially if I were staying at Oberoi Amarvilas, a fabulous 5 star hotel literally right next door to the Taj Mahal.

Tomorrow, we're off to Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment