Monday, March 20, 2017

Africa - Rwanda to Lisbon - Sunday, March 12, 2017

This morning, my bag is packed, at the door and ready for pick up.  So am I!  We return to the "Mother Ship" today for our flight to Lisbon.  Not to sound negative, but the visit to Kigali was the only stop on our tour that I believe could have been avoided.  Perhaps we could have used this extra day in Rwanda or Botswana.  While we did have a lovely time last night at the Heaven restaurant, I feel we would have enjoyed the Vumbura Plains Lodge much more.   Or perhaps, I'm simply ready to go home and that's why the Kigali stop seems like an unnecessary stop. 

After clearing three "check point Charlies" at the Kigali Airport, (they take their security seriously!) we are now back on our private jet for our final flight en route to Lisbon.  Looks like seven and a half hours to Lisbon, so I'm stretching out in these lie flat seats for some much needed "catch up" sleep.  As soon as we're wheels up ... I'll be seat down!!

The plan to sleep on the plane was a good one, but foiled by the activities on the aircraft.  Seems everyone was excited about our last opportunity to be together on this fabulous airplane.  So instead of sleep, we chatted, exchanged photos and contact information, had champagne toasts, farewell speeches and a great time, arriving in Lisbon an hour earlier than planned because we did not have to make a fuel stop along the way.  


A few members of our flight crew who took such excellent care of us during our flights.
Tonight, Jay Dickman, our NatGeo photographer shared his slide show of the trip with us.  He had amazing photos documenting our journey, and it was great fun re-living our tour of Africa which by now, seemed to have begun months ago.  I'm happy to report that I have a few photos rivaling some that this expert photographer shared with us tonight.  I burned up some pixels on this trip, taking over 3500 photos.  I've shared many of the good ones with you in this journal.  I appreciate all of the good tips that the photographers shared with me on this trip.  But I'm most appreciative of the advice and direction given me by my son.  Thanks Jeff.  I think you'll be proud of some of my shots.  

After dinner and Jay's slideshow, we stopped in the lobby bar for our final farewell cocktail.  Stevie, Lorri and I have had a stellar time together. 

Our last happy hour a the Lisbon Four Seasons Ritz.
What incredible friends to travel with!  Stevie has been a dear friend for over thirty years.  We've been through hell and back together and I'm so grateful for her friendship support and love.  Lorri is a new friend and I've embraced her fresh outlook and attitude on life.  She is an intense listener and offers level headed and much appreciated, sensible advice, but only when asked.  Her enthusiasm is contagious.  I'm so blessed to have these two women in my life.  To be able to spend three weeks together traveling the world has been priceless.  Thank you girls!!  


Then there's Midge, the newest member of the group.  As I mentioned earlier, we've been dubbed the "Four Muska-Babes," by Dinglespeil, from Memphis, who is a self proclaimed comedian.   Anyway, we met Midge on this trip.  The only thing I know for sure about Midge is that she's the kind of friend we want to get to know better.  The "Muska-Babes" are working on our next adventure and already have several options cooking.


Monday, March 13, 2017

It's 5:15 a.m. and I'm wide awake.  My flight leaves Lisbon this morning at 10:40, and I don't have to rush this morning.  So, I'm hitting the gym for a much needed workout before settling in on a commercial jet headed back to the good ole USA! 

This will be a long day of readjustment.  We've been "spoilt," as the British say, by the National Geographic travel staff who have lead us along the way for the past three weeks.  NatGeo handled all of the logistics and our job was to enjoy our journey.  How will I navigate the Lisbon airport without the familiar NatGeo signs greeting us at every turn directing us through airports, immigration, hotels and travel sights.  Our bags seem to mysteriously appear in our rooms and our every need has been met with smiles and attention to every single detail.  Oh my gosh!  Time for a reality check!! 

This has been an extraordinary expedition with National Geographic.  We've covered over 17,000 miles and seven countries on the huge continent of Africa.  Just to give you a perspective of how large Africa is, here is an overlay showing how many countries can fit within the boarders of this remarkable continent. 

Eight countries can fit within the boarders of Africa.
We only touched a few of the highlights of Africa, leaving plenty of other areas to explore at a later date.

We've had unimaginable opportunities to see wild animals, birds, reptiles, fossils, experience African cultures, dancers, singers, fabulous hotels and lodges.  We've been transported by busses, bush Land Rovers, quad bikes, camels, cable cars, motor cycle side cars, tuk tuks, helicopters, canoes and small aircraft, to mention a few.  We've eaten foods specific to six different African countries.  We've lived in hillside hotels, thatch roof cabins, cozy cottages and tents.  We've seen old stuff, new stuff, modern to ancient stuff.    We've listened to lectures from famous explorers and conservationist.  

Luke Dollar and Steve Boyes, our NatGeo explorer team.


We have souvenir pieces of this amazing continent as well as a lot of extra pounds to carry home.  We've experienced different cultures unique to only this world and learned so much from our guides and explorers, making new friends along the way.  We've learned different languages, customs and political views.  This has not been just a luxury vacation, rather a true expedition in every sense of the word.

My British Airways flight just crossed into US airspace.  Almost home now.  As astounding as this trip has been, it's always good to be home.  Thanks for checking in on me while I've been gone.  Can't wait to get together and show you the other 3,478 photos that I didn't put in this blog!  Just kidding about the photos, of course, but I truly can't wait to see my fabulous friends and family.  Love and missed you all!!



No comments:

Post a Comment